The best way to learn is by doing and there is no better way to do than when you are guided by community experts.
A Sprint is a hackathon where you can be trained and then contribute to an open source project. In a single sprint there are many different projects each led by experts who can guide you through your first contributions.
How to register?
Anyone can join the sprint (or lead a project at the sprint). A conference ticket is not needed (but encouraged). Pre-register your interest if you are thinking of attending.
When to sprint
PyCon APAC sprints will be held online Nov 27-28th, 10-18 UTC+7
Each day consists of
- 10am Standup. Anyone who wants to lead a project gives a pitch on what they want to achieve and who they are looking for
- 17pm Report-out. Project leads let the whole sprint know what got achieved.
Where to sprint?
The sprint will be held on the Python-Asia discord server.
This allows for teams from countries as far apart as Korea and Indonesia to collaborate on code in real time using text, voice, screen sharing, and pair programming as needed.
What to Sprint on?
Anyone can propose a sprint project even on the day. As long as its open source and python and you think it's ready for others to contribute to. Some of the Projects already registered are include web frameworks, ops, data and a variety of other projects. All skill levels welcome
Create committing rules for projects 🚀 auto bump versions ⬆️ and auto changelog generation 📂
Lead: Wei Lee (Taiwan)
- basic git understanding.
- try commitizen contributing
Python3 interpreter written in Rust
Lead: Jeong Yunwon (youknowone) (Korea, Republic of)
- Enough python skill to understand CPython unit tests.
- Basic shell skill to proceed Rust/Python related instructions
- Rust skill is not very important. But fluent in more than a programming language would be helpful if you are not familiar with Rust
Scraping thailand public government data/documents and making it understandable. Currently covid data but the plan is to extend it other datasets of interest.
- Dylan Jay (Thailand)
- Jonathan Barratt - CTO Intelligent Bytes (Thailand)
- Modi Reinhold Lauer (Thailand)
- Interest in data or learning pandas but anyone welcome
- JS plotting skills would be helpful
- Tasks are divided up between UI/JS/matplotlib, Pandas, Scraping
A Django content management system focused on flexibility and user experience
Lead: Mitchel Cabuloy (Philippines)
- First-time contributors welcome!
- Previous experience using Wagtail
- Django experience
Ready to help other contribute to your python open source project? Register below
Got a project you want help on?
If you'd like to propose a project to lead register your project
How to sprint
- Prepare: Have a development environment setup preferably ahead of time (if you pick a project look for their instructions)
- Login 9:30am 27th Nov. Platform TBA
- 10am Standup. Listen to project leads pitch for you join
- Pick Project: Put your name on the signup document next to the project of your choice
- Induction: the leader will help work out tasks suitable for your skill level and how much mentoring might be required. Typical project will be a mix of experts and beginners and tasks will be categorised by accordingly.
- Coding!: We will use an online space that easily allows you to share your screen and voice with others but you can work in whichever groups and use whatever collaboration tools you need to help each other.
- Have fun: In 2 days you may or may not finished what you started but for certain you will have had fun, met new people and learnt a lot.